Monday, March 30, 2009

an update from the conference...

Tunes:espn on tv (Brad's choice)

We (Stacey, Brad, Lauren, Kristen and myself) are sharing a hotel room here in National Harbor at the Gaylord where our conference (ACPA) is. It's this enormous and immaculate hotel that is charging us way too much to stay here (and not offer us a cot- so we're rotating sleeping on the floor) and way too much for food, so we can't eat here- almost literally. I have spent so much money this week, I get scared even thinking about it. Thank goodness for the enormous amount of money I am getting back from my taxes (and MUM for figuring that out for me).

So! I have been here 2 day's now, and have spent the majority of these 2 days in interviews with colleges and universities I could potentially work at. Yesterday was Siena, Hampshire & UMass Lowell. Today was SUNY Oneonta, Nichols, Keene, Salem State and Hofstra. Tomorrow I have 4 interviews- 2 of which (U of Southern Maine and Emerson) are first round. The others are second interviews (with Keene and UMass Lowell). I also was invited to go to a reception for SUNY Oneonta, which is just as good of a sign as the second interviews really. Hopefully I get a couple on-campus interview invites.

In short- this process is long and SLOW.

Today a lot more of the JMU professionals showed up, which made me feel more at ease. Tomorrow night they'll be having a reception and I am kind of excited to hang out with everyone dawning our Purple and Gold (duuuuukes). I may try and see Tyler on Tuesday after my interview with the School of Visual Arts. Yes, Tyler Kavanagh. I just really want an excuse to go up to DC.

I can not wait to go home on Wednesday, though. I am going to sleep so so so much.
It'll be glorious.

Miraculously the 5 of us in this little hotel room are still getting along so well. I thought we'd all be at each others' throats. But instead we're all being really gracious. And laughing often. I love them so. :)

Now, to bed.
Much love from National Harbor...

No comments: