Monday, June 23, 2008

coffee & internet

Tunes: Billie Holiday

I'm writing this from the outside seating at one of my favorite spots in the 'burg, The Artful Dodger. What's been pretty obnoxious about our subletting situation is that we don't have cable- or internet. It's something that is totally and completely manageable. We rent House M.D. on DVD or watch one of our many movies from our shared movie collection (aka: we watch "The Producers" over and over again). So, this predicament leaves me having to steal internet from our unassuming neighbors (it's what you get for not securing your wireless!), or having to hike downtown to use some complimentary wireless from any various establishment. Like right now.


The beauty of sitting at The Dodger is that it totally transcends coffee shop & internet cafe. It's a cocktail lounge, that also serves great food, offers a weekly salsa night and sells artwork from local artisans inside.
Truth be told, it is fabulous. Extremely reminiscent of Portsmouth's Friendly Toast, only with a more...earthy, worldly vibe, and with less punk-rock sassiness from the staff. Which is fantastic.

Anyways. It's Monday, and it seems like one hell of a weekend has just concluded. Between seeing The Reflex with Alie & Rachel on Friday and then Summer Freedom Fest in Richmond both Saturday & Sunday morning, I didn't get much rest. It was well worth it, though.

The Reflex is my best excuse to liberally apply eye makeup and wear some of my favorite out of style clothing (the stuff I would wear anyday, but probably shouldn't, as I look like a goon). Alie and I always get decked out and dance our pants off. How can you not when the music selections by this band range from Journey's timeless "Don't Stop Believing" to Cyndi Lauper's tongue-in-cheek "She Bop"? We didn't stay late as the bar they were playing at is lame and the crowd was pretty stupid. At least Al and I looked cute.



Summer Freedom Fest is this ridiculous 3 day celebration that my roommate Emily's brother, Matt, puts on every year at the beginning of summer. He's a school teacher in the Richmond area. Once the school year is done, he and his group of teacher friends spends Friday evening, all day Saturday and Sunday morning/ early afternoon relaxing, drinking, eating, laughing and being simply ridiculous. We participated as best we could, only joining the party around 6pm Saturday. Matt and his fiance live in this amazing apartment in Richmond in a neighborhood that resembles the French quarter in New Orleans. The houses all have great little front porches and yards with fences seperating them from the sidewalk. Their bathrooms still have the original sinks and faucets, along with claw-footed bathtubs. The floorboards are wide and creak when you walk across them. It's pretty much the kind of house I dream to own someday.

We finally decided to get to bed around 3:30- only after a good amount of debauchery, most of which Matt filmed. Which is great. We were up again and out the door by 10:30 for "recovery breakfast" at Penny & her partner's place. Alie, Emily & I had so much fun. I especially enjoyed making friends with the likes of Noelle, Brianne & Heather- who are all 30 something, and have settled into the teaching profession by being cynical and still 20 something at heart. We ate some incredible southern cooking, courtesy of Penny (biscuts and sausage gravy? yum) and enjoyed the humid air beneath this enormous tree in their backyard.

I also managed to finish the book I was reading this weekend. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's as fond of modern coming of age tales as I am. Not good for people with a low tolerance for cussing, or grotesque language use. If you're familiar with the Chicago youth counter-culture during the late 80's, or if you enjoy Ska, Hardcore and Oi- it might be right up your alley...





The macbook's battery is dying, so I suppose it's time to wrap it up. Before I do, though...



[another reason why I love the sox so much]


and lastly...



[may you rest in piece, mr. carlin]


Peace & Much Love!
-Leigh

No comments: