Saturday, June 28, 2008

recent reads

Tunes: "Bag of Bones"// Owen

I recently finished How to Be Good by Nick Hornby, who is one of my favorite authors. He's the same author who wrote Fever Pitch, High Fidelity, About a Boy and Long Way Down- all of which are fantastic, especially Long Way Down. How to be Good was interesting in that he wrote the book from a female main character's perspective- and quite well. What's more is that it touches upon the interesting perdicament that liberals find themselves in- how liberal is too liberal that you're just plain ridiculous. The story focuses on the post-modern family in a world where they are caught between deciding whether or not they should feel guilty for the advantages and accomplishments they have- and what this guilt will make some family members do. It's great.



Read it.

Today I finished Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees. Finally. I started it before school ended, but got caught up in end of the year stuff, and then new apartment stuff, and then I lent it to Alie while she went to Scotland, and Emily so she could read it at work. Anyways. It was just a great coming-of-age story based in the South (Tilborn, South Carolina)...2 of my favorite story elements, really. Best part was how it took place during the summer the Civil Rights Act was passed (1964), and I find myself drawn to anything that will give me more insight into that tumultuous time in our country (going to Alabama in April really helped spark that interest). Great story- made me want to eat honey more often.



One of these days I'm going to figure out how to post mp3's of the songs I'm listening to up here. In the meantime, pictures of books will have to do!

Much love!
-Leigh

No comments: