Monday, December 29, 2008

Phobias

Today I discovered that my phobia, one that has been the reason of much ridicule from my friends and sometimes family over the course of my life, is a legitimate one and even has a NAME.

Globophobia is the fear of balloons. Which I have had, and have recognized having, since I was in elementary school. I even found this clip from the Maury Povitch show...



I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse, but it's nice knowing that I'm not alone in my craziness. Well, it's also comforting to know I could be much, much worse than I am.

I've also come to realize that I have Thanatophobia, but I have such a hard time talking about it without having a panic attack, so I won't go on.

It's interesting that these fears have names- but I think that naming these often ridiculous feelings of panic, fright and anxiety trick those plagued by the fear to think they can control it. Hm. Food for thought.

A happier post is hopefully coming soon!
-Leigh

No comments: