Sunday, July 6, 2008

there's nothing you can do, but you can learn how to be you in time, it's easy...

Tunes:the beatles

this post will be brief.
I'm currently reading Jack Kerouac's On The Road which makes me ache for a time when I have more dispensable income to use on filling my gas tank. Driving around is one of my most favorite pass-times, and more importantly it is a means for me keeping sane in all of my long and lonely days here in Virginia.
That sounds dramatic, my day's aren't typically lonely.
But some days really, really are.
On these kinds of days, instead of seeking out others to help me feel less lonely I seek out a way to be as alone as possible. Counter productive you say? No- more like embracing how I'm feeling and running with it. I think sometimes we need to let emotions run their course through ourselves. Yesterday I would up at the top of Route 33, where the line between West Virginia and Virginia meet. There's a pull off near a hiking trail that I parked at. I spread a towel out on the ground near some wild flowers and sunbathed while writing. It felt good. I also drove through most of Eastern West Virginia. More on that tomorrow.
For right now- Kerouac is so well known for a reason. His main character, Sal, embodies this sort of craving many people my age have about finding themselves out in the great, wide-open somewhere. I'll be done it by Tuesday.



time for wine!
more tomorrow,
Leigh

No comments: