Tuesday, March 10, 2009

home, or something like it...

Tunes:radio

Some of the main reasons why I love Harrisonburg is because of its numerous coffee houses and cozy places to get my work done. I've been generally disappointed with what home has to offer mainly because Manchester and Hooksett aren't exactly cozy, snuggle-up kind of places. Or so I had always thought. Until right now.

Yes, I should be working on my portfolio-- it's why I came out to the Queen City today, afterall. However, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the place that I have finally decided to try out today: Jewell & The Beanstalk.



My mom mentioned seeing it on Chronicle recently the other night, but I remember Amy B. talking about coming here for Valentine's Day with James forever ago. I also remember passing by it a few times while out gallivanting after while still in high school. Now that I am inside, I realize it is exactly my kind of place. It's big- bigger than their website makes it seem. There's essentially 3 seating places, lots and lots of antique looking knick-knacks and lots of charm. I hate that phrase, but it really is charming. All the tables and chairs are a hodge-podge of what is surely flea market and yard sale finds, and the decor is much the same.

The woman who is running around taking orders was incredibly nice and welcoming to me- I wish I knew her name as she has since introduced me to her husband and mother-in-law who are here eating. The short woman in the back, Amber-- who I presume is the owner (as her face is in on the cover of some of the framed publications up on the wall)-- has been frantically making things since I got her. I envy her spunk and her storefront for sure. There is so much about this place I already love- like how I don't have to order coffee, I get to just help myself. I know, it doesn't take much to sway me. It helps that it is Free-Trade Sumatra, which is probably my favorite. It smells like brownies right now, too-- which is also a plus. There's lots of baked goods up front, all from scratch I'm told (by my new, nameless waitress friend). There are fresh cut GERBER DAISIES on each table, and a bunch of home made treasures such as jewelery and bags all over the place for sale.
Also, the menu is KILLER. All home made, all made with love (I'm sure-- this place seems like a labor of love).
*Sidenote: no sooner had I written that, my waitress friend, after being asked by a customer how the Maple Balsamic dressing is made, explained that Amber makes everything "with love." "Right, Amber?" she hollered to the back. "That's right, lots of loooove."

...and well, now I'm in love. End of story.



Stacey, among a slew of my other friends, keep on urging me to open my own bakery someday-- which is something I DO want to achieve in my life, I've decided. But being in a place like this really gives me a pang of jealously. I could make a cool, cozy place like this. Decorate it with a bunch of my artwork, have my crafty friends sell their wares, collect flatware and dishes and glasses at flea markets and yard sales in the summer time, bake things that are different and quirky and just plain good...I want this. Haha. In time, in time- I know.

On a different note, I no sooner got home and we were pummeled with another snow storm. New England has a way of reminding me that life in Virginia isn't so bad most days, that's for sure. For what it's worth, today is beautiful weather out, but goodness. Yesterday had me wondering why I've concentrated my job search in the area, ha. Then again, lets be honest, seeing my little brother whenever I'd like would be amazing. Same goes for my besties...Ricker called during his lunch break from work yesterday. I find this to be oddly adorable. I spent an hour on the phone with Mel last night-- even though I will be seeing her on Friday. I haven't seen ANY of the girls (as in THE girls-- Amy, Amy, Beth & Nin) but I know that I will see them all super soon. This break doesn't quite feel like a break. But I think I'll live.

In the meantime, I have to send my resume to Hofstra and finish section one of my portfolio (I've already finished section 2). Happy Tuesday!
<3 Leigh

No comments: